Friday, May 20, 2011

May 17

The last two days have been hectic to say the least. We went into Lusaka twice the past two days go get some logistical things done for the program. We went back into town today. Bianca and I took Joseph, the host brother I live with, alongside because we were expecting to go carry some equipment. During the day we went into down to buy some PVC connectors as well as some piping. Since there is very little structure here in Zambia I found myself in a bargaining war even when trying to purchase tape and equipment which is never fun especially with little experience with the local dialect Nyanja and their poor english. It was quite frustrating in the sense to spend so much time in town as we don't have time to actually do any surveys or contribute to the community while we stay here doing paperwork. However I'm sure that God has been using this time in town for some good. We made some connections with organizations and missioanires the past few days just in passing, which I'm sure will be a good opportunity in the future of the demonstration of the body of Christ.

When we got back today, (May 17) Joseph and I went to go play basketball. We rode our bikes to the ground which was over 40 minutes away. What I didn't realize was that this trip was on very rocky and dirt terrain. I felt like I was mountain biking for 40 minutes. The road was so bumpy that I would often times have to stand up in order to not fall off the bike. Once we got to the courts, I was already so tired my gameplay wasn't up to par as usual ( excuses excuses, I know). Fortunately Jospeh ( A 6'5 giant) has improved significantly since I taught him how to play basketball 2 years ago, played like a Christ Bosh like beast. Giving us a slight advantage in most of the games.  Our bike ride back was just as tedious because it was downhill through the rundown streets of Linda. It gets dark here in Zambia around 5:30 at night ( its winter ), so most of the streets are pitch black as 1 in 10 families perhaps have electricity. Most of these streets that do have lighting are mainly run down, dirty bars and clubs that compete with the number of churches in this compound. As we rode back we had to dodge street trash fires that lighted up the night. With no trash system in the area they find it necessary to simply burn their trash in the streets! It's quite the site. Praise God for keeping us safe as we arrived and finished the night with another great bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment